|Pacific Armada, 1932/02/04|
Navy battleships and aircraft carriers prepare for Hawaii war games. (partial newsreel)
|Pacific Force Closes In On Japs,1945/02/19|
(1) "U.S. Task Force Wrecks Japs - A huge American task force is seen bobbing in the heavy waters of the China Sea. When the storm is weathered, animated maps designate targets in all directions, which are to be struck. Planes take off...then the systematic and spectacular destruction of Jap ships begins. Their missions finished, our planes leave their burning targets and wing back to thehugh flat-tops...
|Peace Corps. Kennedy Outlines Global Program, 1961/03/13|
American exchange students already overseas helping with construction projects; JFK speaks about the Peace Corps (partial newsreel).
Downloads: 1,980 (1 review)
|Peace March. Thousands Oppose Vietnam War, 1967/04/18|
Antiwar demonstrators protest in Central Park, march to UN building, included students and hippies and priests and nuns, burn draft cards, shouted confrontations with anti-antiwar marchers, prowar signs, Martin Luther King leads procession; another march in downtown San Francisco down Market Street to stadium, sponsored by loose coalition of left-wing anti-war groups, "President Johnson meanwhile let it be known that the FBI is closely watching all anti-war activity."- violence in Rome in night ...
Downloads: 27,982 (1 review)
(1) Santa Claus arrives in Allentown PA fair in space ship and kids with sputnik helmets (2) seven-foot French basketball player, Bing Crosby unveils his library at Gonzaga (3) Korean mother of pilot who defected with MiG (4) Canada family has 17 children (partial newsreel).
|Philippine's Independence Proclaimed, 1946/07/15|
Transfer of sovereignty for independent republic of Philippines on July 4, Manuel Rojas new president, ambassador McNutt looks on, MacArthur speaks.
Downloads: 2,189 (1 review)
(1) Russian trawlers in Philippines taken in tow by Philippine authorities (2) "Italy" single engine plane sets transatlantic record in Italy (partial newsreel).
|Pioneer IV Passes Moon, Heads Into Solar Orbit, 1959/03/05|
4-stage Juno rocket launched at night from Cape Canaveral, animation of Pioneer IV accelerated by Sergeant solid fuel stages 2,3,4
|Pittsburgh Paralyzed By Strikes, 1946/10/03|
(1) city crippled by strikes (2) Harriman Here For New Post, to be new Secretary of Commerce, Averill Harriman speaks (3) San Marino Decorates U.S. Admiral, world's smallest republic honors Admiral Stone for helping Italy (partial newsreel)
|Politics and Food. U.S. Feeds Dominicans, Power Struggle On, 1965/05/10|
Uneasy truce in effect, struggle between rebels and military junta; Colonel Cabano trained in US; food distributed by troops (partial newsreel)
|Politics. Ike Okays Nixon; Adlai In Baltimore, 1952/09/25|
(1) Ike greets Nixon at Wheeling airport at night, shake hands; Adlai Stevenson in Baltimore, speaks on taxes (2) "Space Pioneers Mice And Monkeys Soar 38 Miles In Rocket" - at White Sands a rocket prepared for 2 white mice and a monkey named Albert, small rocket blasts off, to 38 miles up, camera in rocket shows weightless mice, parachute to ground, Albert is "world's first space cadet" (3) "Farouk's Palace" - exiled Farouk's palace opened, American comic books, 1000 ties.
|Politics. Ike Stumps Midwest; Adlai's Son A Marine, 1952/09/22|
1) Adlai Stevenson attends graduation of son Adlai III from OCS, in New York at AFL convention; Ike in midwest, speaks that he has confidence in Senator Nixon (2) "Guided Missile. Navy launches Robot Warfare In Korea" - propeller planes take off from carrier USS Boxer, a semi-obsolete Hellcat without a pilot is catapaulted from carrier deck (3) News In Brief - strategic air base only 900 miles from North Pole, at Thule, started 18 months ago but kept secret, Operation Bluejay was construction pr...
|Postwar Flattop Launched, 1945/10/15|
(1) USS Oriskany launched, an Essex-class carrier, named after Revolutionary war battle; (2) Secret Maps Guided U.S. Bombers - contour maps 80 ft. by 60 ft. made in California (3) President Decorates War Heroes - Truman gives 15 medals, to men including Corps. Kraft and Dawes (4) First Freight Glider - for lobsters, kept cold by high altitude. (partial newsreel)
|Powers Case. Ike States Policy On Spies and Open Skies, 1960/05/12|
Ike press conference, speaks about need for information for deterrence to orevent secret suprise attack from Soviet Union, "reason for my Open Skies proposal in 1955"
|Pres. Roosevelt Urges National Unity, 1938/11/07|
"Hyde Park, NY: Pres. Roosevelt, in a vigorous speech on the eve of elections, warns the nation that in these troubled times, democracy must be a positive force in order to maintain liberty against military aggression abroad." sound of FDR speaking. (partial newsreel)
|Pres. Truman En Route to Conference, 1945/07/19|
(1) TRUMAN ON SHIP CROSSES ENGLISH CHANNEL TO POTSDAM CONFERENCE - "As the sleek U.S. cruiser 'Augusta' speeds along the Atlantic, President Truman holds final preparatory conferences with Sec. of State Byrnes and Admiral Leahy. For relaxation, the President enjoys his 'constitutionals' on ship deck, then is seen heartily enjoying mess with the crew." (2) Ryukus Made Springboard for Invasion - "U.S...
|Pres. Truman Honors Nisei Combat Group, 1946/07/18|
(1) Parade of 442 regiment of Japanese-Americans, Truman speaks (2) Siam's king meets death (3) Dirigible Pioneer Retires - Admiral Charles Rosenthal at Lakehurst NJ ceremony (4) Operation Goodwill; aerial parade of RAF bombers over New York, on 30-day tour of U.S. by Squadron 35 of Lancasters (5) Portland, Oregan, World premier of Universal movie Canyon Passage.
|Pres. Truman Urges Wage Adjustment, 1945/11/01|
(1) (silent except Truman's speech) (2) America Goes Back To Peace (3) Yamashita Tried For War Crimes (4) Support Your Victory Loan. (partial newsreel)
|Pres. Truman Warns Japs To Give Up, 1945/06/07|
"In a speech to Congress, President states that Japan faces the same complete destruction that was visited upon Germany. To that end, millions of troops, and their implements of war, are being transferred more than half way around the earth. The President adds that though many key industries have already been leveled by U.S. air attack, all of Japan's industries will be completely destroyed unless Japan surrenders." (partial newsreel)
|President Asks Church Leaders, 1933/10/04|
"New York, NY: Addressing the National Conference of Catholic Charities, the Chief Executive is seen in striking pictures, making an appeal for continued unemployment relief this winter, urging every community to aid the destitute, and promising that the Federal Government will do its share to assist the deserving needy. Many notables, including His Eminenece, Patrick Cardinal Hayes, hear Mr. Roosevelt's plea." sound of FDR speaking...
|President Buys First Bond, 1941/05/01|
President Launches Sales Campaign For Nat'l Defense Bonds - "Washington, DC: President Roosevelt purchases the first 'defense' bond from Treasury Secretary Morgenthau, and issues a dramatic appeal to all Americans to back their country's national defense savings drive 100 per cent." FDR speaks on defense bonds and defense saving stamps. (partial newsreel)
|President on Tour, 1945/06/25|
(1) "Olympia, WA: Taking a brief vacation before addressing the final session of the San Francisco Conference, President Truman goes fishing (you guessed it, they all got away), and then visits majestic Mount Ranier." scenes of Truman guest at Governor's mansion, Charles Ross with press, Truman decorates soldier with Congressional Medal of Honor, fishes in Puget Sound in colorful sweater, travels to Mt...
|President on Vacation, 1946/08/19|
(1) Presidential yacht Williamsburg takes Truman on his first vacation; (2) Long distance anniversary at Paris, Ontario, for 70th anniversary of telephone (3) Churchill visits Dover.
|President Proclaims Nat'l Defense Week For All Americans, 1941/11/03|
President Proclaims Nat'l Defense Week For All Americans - Hyde Park, NY: sound of FDR speaking, declares week of Nov. 11-16 as National Defense Week, says we are united against the "would-be dictators of the world." (partial newsreel)
|President Reports To Nation On The Progress Of Recovery, 1934/06/27|
"Washington DC: The Chief Executive, through Universal Newsreel, makes another characteristic 'intimate' talk to the people of the United States, giving an account of his stewardship and outlining his plan to spur national business recovery." sound of FDR speaking Fireside Chat #5. (2) Highlights In the News - Armored car, trucks of soldiers, fighting in the streets. (some parts silent of this partial newsreel without narration)
|President Roosevelt Sails On 10,000 Mile Vacation Trip, 1934/07/02|
"Annapolis, MD: Accompanied by his two sons, Franklin, Jr., and john, the Chief Executive boards the USS Houston for a long cruise that will take him to the Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Colombia, through the Panama Canal and to Hawaii." poor quality sound of FDR speaking. (partial newsreel)
|President Roosevelt's Emergency Bank Bill Passed By Congress 1933/03/09|
"Washington, DC: First sound pictures of the epochal opening of the special session of the Seventy-third Congress, the elevation of Representative Henry T. Rainey of Illinois to the Speaker's Chair, the reading of President Roosevelt's dramatic message calling for immediate banking legislation, and striking scenes of the president as he signs the resulting banking bill less than eight hours after his call for action to relieve the financial crisis...
|President Speaks To The Nation, 1933/05/08|
"Washington, DC: In a dramatic newsreel interview at the White House, the Chief Executive reviews the accomplishments of his two-months-old administration, promising further leislation designed to better economic conditions throughout the United States and to improve the financial standing of the industrial worker, the farmer and others." President Promises Better Wages For Industry Workers - scenes include FDR speaking Fireside Chat #2 - poor visual image of FDR's face...
|President Tours. Kennedy Inspects Nuclear Bases, 1962/12/10|
(1) JFK arrives at Omaha underground command post; helicopter to Los Alamos (2) snow storm hits East (partial newsreel)
|President Visits Foresters, 1933/08/14|
"Shenandoah National Park, VA: Unusual scenes in the Blue Ridge Mountains as Mr. Roosevelt inspects the Civilian Conservation Corps' Camps, greeting the recruits and dining with them." scenes of FDR in car, eats with the CCC boys, FDR speaks. (partial newsreel)
|President. Foreign Students Hear Peace Hopes, 1955/07/15|
(1) Ike speaks to foreign students at White House (some glitches in his voice) (2) Indo-China battle near Saigon between Diem's forces and enemies as "American training pays off" (3) Air Force Academy first graduating class - giant bombers fly over (4) Mt. Blanc cable car to highest point in Europe (5) sports: Sacramento Little League with heavyweight champ Max Baer as umpire (6) Ike at White House with guests for celebrity golf match (7) baseball All-Star game won by Stan Musial homerun (comple...
|Press Parley. Ike Urges Caution on Seizure of Suez, 1956/08/09|
1) Ike press conference on Suez crisis urges "this very serious difficulty will be settled by peaceful means" in Mideast (2) scout jamboree in Japan, crown prince Akahito (3) teenage car rode-e-o must pass driving tests (4) search for oil in Colombia, 72 drilling concessions have been granted to American companies (partial newsreel)
Downloads: 1,158 (1 review)
|Preview To Invasion, 1944/03/16|
"Great Britain: General Eisenhower, Air Marshall Tedder and General Montgomery view the tons of supplies which have accumulated, they they join the roops who are engaging in mass maneuvers. Piat guns destroy tanks, new machine guns split into action from tanks, and masses of tanks give off salvos of artillery fire. Overhead, huge formations of transport planes sail into view and hundreds of parachute troops literally fill the sky...
|Primo Carrera, 1933/10/25|
Sequals, Italy: Colorful scenes as the world's heavyweight boxing champion is welcomed by his family and cheered by his neighbors in the little village where he was born, and of which he is now the 'first citizen.'" - no sound
|Project Argus 'Greatest Experiment': 3 A-Blasts In Space, 1959/03/19|
USS Norton Sound guided missile ship launches 1 of 3 missiles to explode A-bombs in space in secret Project Argus, experiment to develop ABM shield (partial newsreel).
|Protests Galore! 1967/05/05|
(1) Vietnam protest demonstration in Britain; also at Madrid University in Spain, burned American flag; also 4000 in Detroit at "love-in" and "be-in" with hippies and wild constumes (2) News In Brief - U.S. jet bombers hit North Vietnam targets (3) May Day parade in Moscow, Premier Kosygin (partial newsreel).